Important or Pending Cases
A complete list of all natural gas related cases filed with the Commission is available on the Commission’s Regulated Utility Filings. Cases filed after July 7, 2014 are available through the DelaFile E-filing system Opens in new window page.
Following is a list of cases that have, or are likely to, generate a significant amount of public interest. To assist the public with participation in these matters, summaries with docket numbers are provided below along with a link to our Delafile system for related documents.
All case related documents are available for review by appointment at the Commission Office Opens in new window in Dover, Delaware, or at the Office of the Public Advocate Opens in new window in Wilmington, Delaware.
Chesapeake Utilities Corporation – Delaware Division
PSC Docket No. 12-292 – (Filed June 25, 2012)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF CHESAPEAKE UTILITIES CORPORATION FOR APPROVAL OF NATURAL GAS EXPANSION SERVICE OFFERINGS – Chesapeake Utilities Corporation has filed an application Opens in new window for approval of proposed natural gas service offerings within its Delaware service areas and specifically within areas of southeastern Sussex County, Delaware.
- On November 5, 2013, the Commission held an Evidentiary Hearing regarding this matter. At this meeting, the Commission signed Order No. 8479 Opens in new window approving the settlement agreement that had been reached by the parties.
- On October 1, 2013, Chesapeake Utilities Corporation filed a letter addressed to the Executive Director requesting that this matter be heard directly before the Commission. The letter includes the following attachments:
- A public comment session for this matter was held on September 12, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at the Cape Henlopen High School Theatre. Please see the Public Notice Opens in new window for more information.
- Supplemental Direct Testimony Opens in new window was filed by Jeffrey R. Tietbohl on July 24, 2013 offering a Revised Proposal in the proceeding.
- Hearing Examiner’s Report Opens in new window of Mark Lawrence dated February 6, 2013
- Order No. 8174 Opens in new window opening the docket and directing public notice of the filing was signed on July 3, 2012.
PSC Docket No. 13-383 – (Filed October 1, 2013)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF CHESAPEAKE UTILITIES CORPORATION FOR APPROVAL OF CHANGES TO THE TRANSPORTATION AND BALANCING RIDER AND THE GAS SUPPLIER SCHEDULE OF ITS TARIFF – Chesapeake Utilities Corporation has filed an application Opens in new window requesting permission to revise its current Transportation Rider to establish a new approach to its allocation of the cost of interstate pipeline capacity to transportation customers. In addition, Chesapeake requests permission to make other changes throughout the Transportation Rider and its Gas Supplier Schedule either to clarify existing language or to modify the mechanics of the transportation program in order to improve efficiency.
- On November 5, 2013, the Commission approved Order No. 8481 Opens in new window opening the docket, assigning the matter to a Hearing Examiner specifically for the purposes of granting or denying intervention petitions and for admission of counsel pro hac vice, setting the intervention period, and directing the public notice Opens in new window .
Delmarva Power & Light
PSC Docket No. 12-546 – (filed December 7, 2012)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF DELMARVA POWER & LIGHT FOR AN INCREASE IN GAS BASE RATES – On December 7, 2012, Delmarva Power & Light Company filed with the Commission an application seeking approval of: (a) an increase in gas delivery rates of $12,174,435 or 7.87% of total revenues; (b) approval of a return of equity of 10.25%; (c) approval to implement a Utility Facility Relocation Charge Rider (Rider UFRC); (d) approval of a service extension tariff; and (e) miscellaneous tariff changes.
- Delmarva Supplemental Testimony
- Testimony on Behalf of Commission Staff
- Testimony on Behalf of The Attorney General
- Testimony on behalf of the Caesar Rodney Institute
- Delmarva Rebuttal Testimony
- Order No. 8576 Opens in new window approving Delmarva’s request to implement Phase I AMI rate changes in accordance with the Settlement Agreement was signed on June 26, 2014.
- Order No. 8528 Opens in new window approving the proposed changes to Delmarva’s Natural Gas Tariff as set forth in the Proposed Settlement Agreement regarding Gas Service Extension Tariff Changes was signed on February 6, 2014.
- Order No. 8465 Opens in new window adopting the Findings and Recommendations of the Hearing Examiner and approving the proposed rates contained in Proposed Settlement Agreement was signed on October 22, 2013.
- Order No. 8402 Opens in new window designating Mark Lawrence as the Hearing Examiner for this matter was signed on July 2, 2013.
- Order No. 8406 Opens in new window granting Delmarva’s request to implement, under bond and subject to refund, a portion of their requested rate increase as permitted by 26 Del. C. Section 302(b) was signed on July 2, 2013.
- Order No. 8297 Opens in new window designating Connie McDowell as the Hearing Examiner for this matter was signed on February 21, 2013.
- On January 8, 2012, the Commission entered Order No. 8271 Opens in new window opening the docket; suspending implementation of the proposed rates; permitting implementation of interim rates; appointing a Hearing Examiner; and directing publication of notice.
- Public Notices
- On February 6, 2014, starting at 1:00 p.m., the Commission will hold and Evidentiary Hearing to consider whether to grant the requested changes to Delmarva’s Natural Gas Tariff pertaining to Main Extensions. Please see the Public Notice Opens in new window for more information.
- The Evidentiary Hearings for this matter are scheduled to begin on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 10:00 am. Please see the Public Notice Opens in new window for more information.
- The Public Comment Session for this matter was held on Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm. Please see the Public Notice Opens in new window for more information.
- Procedural Schedule
- Settlement Agreements
- Hearing Examiner’s Report
- Compliance Filings
- Compliance Filing Opens in new window of Delmarva Power & Light Company dated March 18, 2014 for purposes of implementing the IMU Phase-In rate changes to become effective on July 1, 2014.
On December 21, 2010 Order No. 7882 Opens in new window was approved by the Commission. The order grants Delmarva Power & Light Company’s Motion to consolidate PSC Docket No. 09-277T, the Company’s application to institute a modified fixed variable rate design for gas customers, and 10-237, its gas base rate case. Documents related to the dockets can be found below.
PSC Docket No. 10-237 – (filed July 2, 2010)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF DELMARVA POWER & LIGHT FOR AN INCREASE IN GAS BASE RATES – On July 2, 2010, Delmarva Power & Light Company filed with the Commission an application seeking approval of: (a) an increase in its natural gas base rates; (b) a proposed revenue decoupling rate design, and (c) miscellaneous tariff changes.
- Appendix A
- Appendix B
- Testimonies: Ziminsky, Tanos, Janocha, K White, T White, Potts, Phillips Jr., Jenkins Sr, Vonsteuben, Hanley, Wathen, Crane, Rothschild, Crane Appendix A, Crane Appendix B, Solganick and Smith
- Rebuttal Testimony: Ziminsky, Janocha, T White, Jenkins Sr, Vonsteuben, Hanley, Wathen
- Commission Orders
- Order No. 7808 Opens in new window – Suspending Delmarva Power & Light Company’s rates and revised tariff sheets pursuant to 26 Del. C &306(a) (1) and subject to the implementation of itnerim rates as authorized herein, shall not be placed into force or effect except pursuant to law or further Order of the Commission, and then only to the extent such law or further Commission Order may permit or allow. Suspending proposed non-rate modifications to its tariffs until such time as a final Order in this proceeding is issued. Suspending proposed revenue decoupling rate design until such time as a final Order in this proceeding is issued. Delmarva’s request to implement interim rates intended to produce an annual increase of $2.5 million in intrastate operating revenues, effective August 31, 2010 with proration and subject to refund, is granted.
- Order No. 7904 Opens in new window (January 27, 2011) – Commission approval for Delmarva Power & Light Company to place into effect their full-proposed rate increase on February 2, 2011 subject to refund with interest, pending the Commission’s final decision.
- Order No. 7990 Opens in new window (June 21, 2011) – Adopting the Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Recommendations of the Hearing Examiner and approving the Proposed Settlement Agreement, in its entirety, submitted by Delmarva Power & Light Company, the Commission Staff and the Attorney General’s office for usage on or after July 1, 2011. Delmarva Power & Light Company is authorized a return on equity of ten percent (10%) to produce an overall rate of return of 7.56 percent.
- Public Notice
- Workshop August 29th, 10:00am at the Delaware Public Service Commission Hearing room (see PSC calendar for more information). The purpose of this workshop is to participate in discussion related to the development of the Modified Fixed Variable Rate Design also known as Revenue Decoupling for Delmarva’s natural gas customers.
PSC Docket No. 09-277T (Filed June 25, 2009)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF DELMARVA POWER & LIGHT COMPANY FOR APPROVAL OF A MODIFIED FIXED VARIABLE RATE DESIGN FOR NATURAL GAS RATES – On September 9, 2009, the Commission entered Order No. 7619, thereby opening a docket to examine the adoption of a modified fixed/variable rate design for Delmarva Power’s natural gas business. See Order No. 7731 Opens in new window for more information.
Direct Testimony of:
Hearing Examiner’s Report