Delaware Public
Service Commission

Formal Complaint Process

Any time you have a problem with the utility services you receive, first contact the utility directly and provide the Customer Service Representative with all the necessary information. Your problem will be handled more quickly and more effectively by providing a thorough explanation. If your problem concerns a bill for services, it is very important that you contact the utility immediately. If you believe you have been overcharged, discuss the bill with a representative promptly, and ask to have the charges investigated. If there is a good faith dispute, your service cannot be terminated during the investigation.

If the resolution to your problem or complaint offered by the company is unreasonable or you believe it to be at odds with the company’s tariff, contact the Division of the Public Advocate for assistance. Upon receipt of your complaint, one of the DPA’s complaint investigators will work as a liaison between you and the utility to resolve any outstanding issues.

At that juncture, if you are still not satisfied that your complaint has been addressed, you can file a formal complaint with the PSC. The instructions for filing a formal complaint can be found in the Commission’s Rules of Practice and Procedure. It is important to note that the complaint will need to identify a law, rule, or order that has been violated, and the complaint will need to state the relief requested. The formal complaint process will require both sides to produce evidence to support their case and it may require the complainant to appear for a hearing.

Related Topics:  , , , , , ,

Picture of a Wind Farm, a Greenhouse, a Home, a Water Processing Tower, Two Solar Pannels with Wildlife and Trees