- Role of the Commission
- Regulated Utilities
- Consumer Information
- Important or Pending Cases at the Commission
Role of the Commission
Under Delaware law, the Commission is authorized to grant cable television franchises to cable system operators who provide service in the unincorporated areas of Delaware. The Commission may terminate or revoke a franchise if the operator fails to comply with the terms of its franchise agreement. Under Federal law, the PSC's ability to regulate rates for cable service and equipment is limited to the basic service level and associated equipment and installation charges, and the Commission must approve such rates if they are calculated in accordance with the rules of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Although the PSC does not have regulatory authority over any upper tier offerings, other than what is provided in an operator's franchise agreement regarding the provision of public access channels, an open line of communication between the three cable providers and the PSC Staff insures that the Commission is kept aware of the latest in service offerings and technologies. The close communication and the progressive regulatory stance of the Delaware Commission has been a positive factor in encouraging the best and most innovative offerings being provided in Delaware to our citizens.
Satellite providers are not regulated at the state level.
- Atlantic Broadband (Delmar), LLC (PSC Order No. 6776 - franchise renewal)
- Comcast Cable
- MediaCom Delaware, LLC (PSC Order No. 5499 - franchise renewal)
- Verizon Delaware LLC (PSC No. Order 7074) - initial franchise agreement.
- The Commission's jurisdiction over regulated cable television services is limited to unincorporated areas of the state. If you reside within the municipal boundaries of a city or town, you would need to contact the municipality that granted the franchise to the cable utility.
- Delaware Public Service Commission Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Federal Communications Commission offers a number of consumer alerts and fact sheets relating to cable television regulation, including an information bulletin which describes the evolution of the cable industry.
Important or Pending Cases
A complete list of all cable related cases filed with the Commission is available on the Commission's Regulated Utility Filings page.