Table of Contents
Important or Pending Cases
A complete list of all natural gas related cases filed with the Commission is available on the Commission's Regulated Utility Filings . Cases filed after July 7, 2014 are available through the DelaFile E-filing system page.
Following is a list of cases that have, or are likely to, generate a significant amount of public interest. To assist the public with participation in these matters, summaries with docket numbers are provided below along with a link to our Delafile system for related documents.
Chesapeake Utilities Corporation - Delaware Division
PSC Docket No. 12-292 - (Filed June 25, 2012)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF CHESAPEAKE UTILITIES CORPORATION FOR APPROVAL OF NATURAL GAS EXPANSION SERVICE OFFERINGS - Chesapeake Utilities Corporation has filed an application for approval of proposed natural gas service offerings within its Delaware service areas and specifically within areas of southeastern Sussex County, Delaware.
- On November 5, 2013, the Commission held an Evidentiary Hearing regarding this matter. At this meeting, the Commission signed Order No. 8479 approving the settlement agreement that had been reached by the parties.
- On October 1, 2013, Chesapeake Utilities Corporation filed a letter addressed to the Executive Director requesting that this matter be heard directly before the Commission. The letter includes the following attachments:
- Cover Letter - Addressed to the Executive Director
- Exhibit A - an executed copy of the Proposed Settlement Agreement
- Exhibit B - Public Notice of an Evidentiary Hearing at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, November 5, 2013 directly before the Public Service Commission.
- Exhibit C - Supplemental Testimony of Jeffrey Tietbohl, Vice President of Chesapeake Utilities Corporation that was filed original on July 24, 2013.
- A public comment session for this matter was held on September 12, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at the Cape Henlopen High School Theatre. Please see the Public Notice for more information.
- Supplemental Direct Testimony was filed by Jeffrey R. Tietbohl on July 24, 2013 offering a Revised Proposal in the proceeding.
- Hearing Examiner's Report of Mark Lawrence dated February 6, 2013
- Order No. 8174 opening the docket and directing public notice of the filing was signed on July 3, 2012.
PSC Docket No. 13-383 - (Filed October 1, 2013)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF CHESAPEAKE UTILITIES CORPORATION FOR APPROVAL OF CHANGES TO THE TRANSPORTATION AND BALANCING RIDER AND THE GAS SUPPLIER SCHEDULE OF ITS TARIFF - Chesapeake Utilities Corporation has filed an application requesting permission to revise its current Transportation Rider to establish a new approach to its allocation of the cost of interstate pipeline capacity to transportation customers. In addition, Chesapeake requests permission to make other changes throughout the Transportation Rider and its Gas Supplier Schedule either to clarify existing language or to modify the mechanics of the transportation program in order to improve efficiency.
- On November 5, 2013, the Commission approved Order No. 8481 opening the docket, assigning the matter to a Hearing Examiner specifically for the purposes of granting or denying intervention petitions and for admission of counsel pro hac vice, setting the intervention period, and directing the public notice .
Delmarva Power & Light
PSC Docket No. 12-546 - (filed December 7, 2012)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF DELMARVA POWER & LIGHT FOR AN INCREASE IN GAS BASE RATES - On December 7, 2012, Delmarva Power & Light Company filed with the Commission an application seeking approval of: (a) an increase in gas delivery rates of $12,174,435 or 7.87% of total revenues; (b) approval of a return of equity of 10.25%; (c) approval to implement a Utility Facility Relocation Charge Rider (Rider UFRC); (d) approval of a service extension tariff; and (e) miscellaneous tariff changes.
- Testimony of Witnesses McGowan, Collacchi, Hevert and Ziminsky
- Testimony of Witnesses Santacecilia, Norman and White and Workpapers
- Revised Filing Documents submitted in compliance with the minimum filing requirements.
- Delmarva Supplemental Testimony
- Supplemental Testimony and Workpapers in support of the 12+0 Update
- Testimony on Behalf of Commission Staff
- Testimony on Behalf of The Attorney General
- Testimony on behalf of the Caesar Rodney Institute
- Testimony of David Stevenson
- Delmarva Rebuttal Testimony
- Rebuttal Testimony and Schedules of McGowan, Hevert, Ziminsky, Collacchi and Santacecilia
- Order No. 8576 approving Delmarva's request to implement Phase I AMI rate changes in accordance with the Settlement Agreement was signed on June 26, 2014.
- Order No. 8528 approving the proposed changes to Delmarva's Natural Gas Tariff as set forth in the Proposed Settlement Agreement regarding Gas Service Extension Tariff Changes was signed on February 6, 2014.
- Order No. 8465 adopting the Findings and Recommendations of the Hearing Examiner and approving the proposed rates contained in Proposed Settlement Agreement was signed on October 22, 2013.
- Order No. 8402 designating Mark Lawrence as the Hearing Examiner for this matter was signed on July 2, 2013.
- Order No. 8406 granting Delmarva's request to implement, under bond and subject to refund, a portion of their requested rate increase as permitted by 26 Del. C. Section 302(b) was signed on July 2, 2013.
- Order No. 8297 designating Connie McDowell as the Hearing Examiner for this matter was signed on February 21, 2013.
- On January 8, 2012, the Commission entered Order No. 8271 opening the docket; suspending implementation of the proposed rates; permitting implementation of interim rates; appointing a Hearing Examiner; and directing publication of notice.
- Public Notices
- On February 6, 2014, starting at 1:00 p.m., the Commission will hold and Evidentiary Hearing to consider whether to grant the requested changes to Delmarva's Natural Gas Tariff pertaining to Main Extensions. Please see the Public Notice for more information.
- The Evidentiary Hearings for this matter are scheduled to begin on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 10:00 am. Please see the Public Notice for more information.
- The Public Comment Session for this matter was held on Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm. Please see the Public Notice for more information.
- Procedural Schedule
- Procedural Schedule approved March 12, 2013.
- Settlement Agreements
- Hearing Examiner's Report
- Hearing Examiner's Report dated September 30, 2013.
- Compliance Filings
- Compliance Filing of Delmarva Power & Light Company dated March 18, 2014 for purposes of implementing the IMU Phase-In rate changes to become effective on July 1, 2014.
On December 21, 2010 Order No. 7882 was approved by the Commission. The order grants Delmarva Power & Light Company's Motion to consolidate PSC Docket No. 09-277T, the Company's application to institute a modified fixed variable rate design for gas customers, and 10-237, its gas base rate case. Documents related to the dockets can be found below.
PSC Docket No. 10-237 - (filed July 2, 2010)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF DELMARVA POWER & LIGHT FOR AN INCREASE IN GAS BASE RATES - On July 2, 2010, Delmarva Power & Light Company filed with the Commission an application seeking approval of: (a) an increase in its natural gas base rates; (b) a proposed revenue decoupling rate design, and (c) miscellaneous tariff changes.
- Commission Orders
- Order No. 7808 - Suspending Delmarva Power & Light Company's rates and revised tariff sheets pursuant to 26 Del. C &306(a) (1) and subject to the implementation of itnerim rates as authorized herein, shall not be placed into force or effect except pursuant to law or further Order of the Commission, and then only to the extent such law or further Commission Order may permit or allow. Suspending proposed non-rate modifications to its tariffs until such time as a final Order in this proceeding is issued. Suspending proposed revenue decoupling rate design until such time as a final Order in this proceeding is issued. Delmarva's request to implement interim rates intended to produce an annual increase of $2.5 million in intrastate operating revenues, effective August 31, 2010 with proration and subject to refund, is granted.
- Order No. 7904 (January 27, 2011) - Commission approval for Delmarva Power & Light Company to place into effect their full-proposed rate increase on February 2, 2011 subject to refund with interest, pending the Commission's final decision.
- Order No. 7990 (June 21, 2011) - Adopting the Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Recommendations of the Hearing Examiner and approving the Proposed Settlement Agreement, in its entirety, submitted by Delmarva Power & Light Company, the Commission Staff and the Attorney General's office for usage on or after July 1, 2011. Delmarva Power & Light Company is authorized a return on equity of ten percent (10%) to produce an overall rate of return of 7.56 percent.
- Public Notice
- Workshop August 29th, 10:00am at the Delaware Public Service Commission Hearing room (see PSC calendar for more information). The purpose of this workshop is to participate in discussion related to the development of the Modified Fixed Variable Rate Design also known as Revenue Decoupling for Delmarva's natural gas customers.
PSC Docket No. 09-277T (Filed June 25, 2009)
IN THE MATTER OF THE APPLICATION OF DELMARVA POWER & LIGHT COMPANY FOR APPROVAL OF A MODIFIED FIXED VARIABLE RATE DESIGN FOR NATURAL GAS RATES - On September 9, 2009, the Commission entered Order No. 7619 , thereby opening a docket to examine the adoption of a modified fixed/variable rate design for Delmarva Power's natural gas business. See Order No. 7731 for more information.
Direct Testimony of:
- On February 10, 2011 a settlement agreement was reached.
Hearing Examiner's Report
- On May 13, 2011 the Findings of fact, Conclusions of Law and Recommendations of the Hearing Examiner was issued for the Commission's consideration.